Monday, September 23, 2019

Doing some mods

Decided it was time to do a couple accessibility mods to the Apex. So to start things off we went to the RV show in Hershey to check things out and see how a new pair of steps might help Barb get in and out of the camper. After trying a couple out we decided that this was indeed something that needed to be done so we headed to the MORryde booth to discuss our options with them. they helped us out with selecting the right stairs, I did think ahead and bring my measurements for the door, and getting the hand rail. Gave us a nice show special price and delivered them to a local RV dealer 2 days later.
The install was pretty easy except for the fact our screen door was too long. I had to grind about an 1/8 of an inch off the bottom but other than that it was straight forward. These make a great addition to the RV and I am less worried about anyone falling down the stairs. And since they reach the ground when level there is no more need for an extra stool to make up for the first 14" step we sometimes had if the passenger side was raised a little.



After that I decided to add a grab bar to the bathroom. My concern was being able to mount it securely to the wall. I didn't trust molly screws on the 1/4" paneling. As luck would have it i found that the studs in the wall were 18" apart. BINGO! We now have a grab bar that when you pull on it you can rock the camper.


Now on to my next project. I ordered a toilet extension that will add 2 1//2 inches to the height of the toilet to made it more like an ADA fixture. I have that but I also needed a filler hose extension that I needed to order and will not have until later this week. So a post for another time.

Barb has said that she is not going to let a few issues get in the way of our life. And we are going to do any mods that we can to make sure that life is as easy as possible. Please comment if you have made any changes to your RV to help with accessibility issues.

1 comment:

  1. I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. preowned travel trailers Missouri

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts